Labels

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Albums I could not live without


Inspired by Christina; Here's my list of Albums I simply always need to have on hand. This is a pretty different type of music list, as I discovered while brainstorming. It's steeped in nostalgia and growing increasingly archaic as the single grows to reign over our musical sensibilities.

I mean, I could make a list 1,000 entries long of songs I couldn't live without, but albums have to have near perfect structure.

The wording of the list is rather hyperbolic, too. I couldn't bring myself to list any bands that I've been into recently because I'm not sure yet whether or not I could live without them. So sorry Thermals, Kings of Leon, Mae Shi, Los Campesinos, Mississippi Fred McDowell and Yelle. It's too soon.

Anyway:

Weezer Blue album. Christina put 'Pinkerton' which is the shit too (although I don't think it's under-rated, I think it's under-recognized), but Blue will always rule my heart.

Green Day Dookie. The best album a 7th grader could ask for and it really translates strongly nowadays. This album sparked so f-ing many imitators.

Smashing Pumpkins Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness. Angst-a-riffic.

Dead Prez Let's Get Free. Really solid stuff that gets your blood all aboil.

David Bowie The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars. I grew up on the greatest hits but this album flows soooooo smoothly and it's got Moonage Daydream, obviously.

The Coup Steal This Album. My first hip hop disc (of any substance). Really brilliant. One time I followed Boots Riley for 10 minutes through a house party just so I could nervously shake his hand and tell him how he changed my life. What a dork.

David Lindley El Rayo X. When I was about 10 I asked my dad for "good skateboarding music" for my walkman. I guess he was right because this is one of my favorites.

The Jam All Mod Cons/Greatest hits. Again, reared on the greatest hits (I think that was all that was available on CD in the states). But I'd pick AMCs for my album.

Tom Waits Closing Time/Bone Machine/Orphans/Mule Variations. Too hard to choose one.

Beach Boys Pet Sounds. Christina got me hooked on "Heroes and Villains". The rest is history.

Fatlip The Loneliest Punk. Oh, don't get me started. "What's Up Fatlip" is simply the best song ever written.

Sleater-Kinney Dig Me Out. These babes rule.

Paul Simon Graceland. Another early love for me that is astonishingly replayable. Especially on a hot drive out to the river.

Queens of the Stone Age Songs for the Deaf. This classic reeks of LA to me. In a good way. Sort of.

Sparks Angst In My Pants. Minor days. Props to Jamie, whose mixtape introduced me to this prolific duo. I know this is poppy but I have no shame about loving pop (Gwen Stefani almost made the list).

Gogol Bordello Super Taranta! rocknroll!

1 comment:

Christina said...

wow. green day -- how did i manage to leave that out??? i wore bald spots onto my eardrums with dookie. good lord.

Steal this album - thanks to you - should certainly make my list. Songs for the Deaf creates the same LA mixed emotional messiness for me and i love it too. honestly though, if there is anything that brings me completely back to our weird apt - windows open, drunk by 1pm and shooting bb's at action figures from the couch its definitely CKY

good list all in all. yay for taste.