Labels

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hurtin' Burton


Disclaimer: I haven't cared for a Tim Burton movie since 1994's Ed Wood, which was excellent. So every new project he does puts me on edge.

Which brings me to his latest project, yet another remake of a often retold and re-imagined story-- Alice in Wonderland. While I might have been excited about the prospect of TB doing this 15 years ago, it seems all too apropos for a guy who I see as creatively spent and riding the coattails of his quirky early years. What better material than Alice, right?

But these early peeks look like they've just taken the same old Alice imagery and CGI-ed it up. Not that there's anything wrong with the classic blue-dress Alice or chubby-cheeked flowers, but if they couldn't find something more groundbreaking, why bother?

Check out the pictures here.

I think that modern Burton has more say in the production design of his films, to their detriment. Without Henry Selick (the real brains behind A Nightmare Before Christmas) and Bill Boes (who designed Scooby Doo 2, probably the best aspect of the film), ol' TB just has strong material to riff and big name stars to entice.

No comments: