Labels

Friday, January 16, 2009

2009

Well, its been a while since I've updated. The major scoop is that I'm going back to HSU on Tuesday to finish what I started 9 years ago. Finally. It'll be pretty run of the mill because I haven't decided what the hell I'm going back for, but my most anticipated class is radio production. Presumably I'll have some access to KRFH, which will be a lot of fun... I'll shamelessly plug that in the future.

My mom and stepdad are leaving at two a.m. tonight (tomorrow) on a bus to a plane to Washington D.C. Their trek is going to be hectic, frantic, and totally exciting, and I'm a little jealous of everything but the crowds. I don't think she'll be blogging, or I'd link it. However, they were on the cover of the Arcata Eye this week and there will no doubt be stories to come.

My familiarity with D.C. stems from my current gaming obsession Fallout 3. Much has been said about this little gem already- it's made every 'best-of-2008' list I've seen- and the hype does not disappoint. As a huge fan of the previous Fallout games and Oblivion, Fallout 3 is at the acme of video game construction. The nostalgist and futurist in me me met sublimely on this one. Dystopian apocalyptic postulations always strike a chord with me, as evidenced by, well, the title of the blog. Here's hoping my moms experience in the capitol wasteland is better than that of my virtual weary traveler.

A note on the above paragraph: the term "strike a chord" posed a real problem when it came to typing it. I don't know how many hundreds of times I've used that phrase in speech, but I came to the realization that I had no idea what the origin of the phrase was. Strike a cord- like a guitar string? Strike accord? And then Rachael said "strike a chord" and it all rushed back to me. Duh. Funny when you find those little language quirks you take for granted until they appear in a fresh form. I was 15 when I realized "up and Adam" didn't make sense.

Happy 2009 and Happy Inauguration!!

No comments: