Labels

Monday, December 22, 2008

An Anecdote

About four years ago I worked a summer at AG Edwards. It was easily the second worst job I've ever had. Take customer service and add the stress of handling and investing people's money. Combine this with all of the drama of working in an office and waking up at 7:30 and you have my image of hell. And finally, my boss was a dickhead. He lacked tactful social skills, humility, and patience.
In retrospect, I can see all of this, but at the time I felt this strong desire to prove myself, carry out my tasks to the best of my ability, and so on. I had work ethic, but I also needed money.
Anyway, one day the topic of my second job came up whilst talking with my boss. I worked part time at the Minor Theatre as well and he felt obligated to talk movies upon learning this. Leaning back in his chair he said

"The last movie I saw... Oh right, the Pacifier! Yeah that was a really great movie."

It was at that point I stopped caring about that job at all. I try not to be a snob, but his insistence on praising that Vin Diesel tragedy exemplified how distant our realities were from each other.

Nowadays that place is a distant memory but i learned valuable lessons regarding how I want to spend my life earning money.

No comments: